By Dr. Nick Barnes
Stress plays a part in many health-related problems, including headaches, heart disease, immune problems and digestive issues. One primary contributor to stress-induced problems: an increased production of stress hormones, which can impact immune health and your adrenals. Conversely, the right nourishment (including stress management) can help your adrenals perform optimally. These seven strategies make a solid foundation for supporting balanced, healthy adrenal glands.
1. Start with your diet. Healthy foods provide the nutrients your adrenals need to balance blood sugar levels, manage stress levels, and maintain all the other requirements for healthy adrenal glands.
2. Remove the triggers. Caffeine can impact sleep levels, which takes its tolls on your adrenals. So can alcohol. Sugar can take its toll on adrenal health. Food sensitivities including gluten can also increase inflammation and cortisol requirements.
3. Be aware of underlying culprits. Other conditions including depression and anxiety can impact your adrenals. So could your blood sugar if it becomes too high or low.
4. Get the right nutrients. Nutrient support for adrenal health oftentimes requires an individualized approach, but a few key nutrients can help.
• Vitamin C — Stress levels and requirements of this vitamin go hand-in-hand. The more cortisol your adrenals make, the more vitamin C this gland requires.
• Omega-3 fatty acids — Your brain and adrenals communicate together, and deficiencies in these anti-inflammatory fatty acids inhibit that flow.
• B Complex — Optimal amounts of the B-vitamins positively impact stress levels and cortisol.
• Magnesium — Research about this undervalued mineral, which plays a role in more than 300 biochemical reactions, for adrenal insufficiency goes way back…to 1957.
5. Find ways to manage stress. To heal your adrenals and support adrenal health, identify the various stressors in your life and find ways to minimize their impact.
6. Get great sleep. Adequate sleep — about seven to nine hours every night for healthy adults — is crucial for healthy adrenals, but what often gets overlooked is quality.
7. Visit your chiropractor. Chiropractors can address the chronic stress that impacts your adrenal. Adjustments reduce or eliminate uneven pressure on the spine, returning your body to a balanced state. They can help relieve muscle tension and improve blood circulation that could help signal the brain to turn off the “fight or flight” response.
Visit HealthFromWithinSTL.com for more details.
Health From Within Family Chiropractic
9586 Manchester Rd
St. Louis, MO, 63119