123 Proven Ways to Reduce Stress and Relax
By Emma, Author at Health Grinder
With so many things happening around us all the time, getting stressed is almost inevitable. This makes it important to be able to step back, calm down and relax once in a while.
In this article we take a look at the best ways to reduce stress based on scientifically backed evidence. The methods listed below range from things that you can do anywhere, at any time, to those that are done in more formal settings or require a bit more time to complete. The variety gives you a few things you can include into your day to day life to ward off chronic stress. And, keep some in reserve for when those sudden unwanted events happen.
Table of Contents
- Fun Time & Leisure- This section includes fun and leisure activities you can do to reduce stress. They’s fun and don’t require you to think about anything else.
- Lifestyle & Attitude Changes- Are you causing your own stress? Here are some attitude and lifestyle checks that will help you identify whether or not what you’re doing is making life more stressful, and how you can better manage them.
- How Relationships Help Fight Stress- How about your relationships? Are they good or bad for you… and should you make any changes. Plus, don’t forget your most important relationship of all, the one with yourself.
- Physical Activity and Stress- During stressful times, we often want to just sit or lie down. But scientific evidence points towards doing the opposite. Instead of internalizing and curling up, go out and get moving.
- Taking Time Out- Taking a few minutes or a few days every now and then to get away from the routine of our daily lives works well to help us recharge and relax. This lets us come back with a fresher, clearer and calmer mind.
- Relaxation Techniques- This section covers a variety of popular and not so well known methods that help you relax and negate some of the risks and effects of stress. Try out some of the formal relaxation techniques as well as those that are more casual and see which ways to decrease stress here works for you.
- Turn to Your Spritual Side- Faith and connecting with your spiritual side is another way that many people have found to help cope with stressful life situations.
- Vitamins & Minerals for Stress- Don’t forget to shore up on the essential vitamins and minerals. Those listed below have been linked to lowering stress as well as preventing diseases related to physical, emotional and psychological stress. The vitamins & minerals below can all be found in food, which is what we recommend. But if you can’t get enough through diet, supplementing them works just as well.
- Supplements that Help with Stress- This section covers the different supplements, including herbal extract options that have been shown to provide stress relief. Note that because many of these supplements come with side effects and interact with other medication, it is essential to consult with your physician before taking any of these.
- Food for Stress- Below is a list of foods that help fight stress. We’ve kept our list as short as we could considering those that deserve special mention. Our list is by no means exhaustive as this article isn’t solely focused foods for stress relief.
- What to Drink for Stress Relief- Just like what we eat, what we drink can help or cause our stress levels to rise. These are some beverages whose ingredients can affect you.
- Medication– While we try to avoid medication if possible, they are effective and for some, it’s the best option.
In a perfect world, we’d all be cool, calm and collected, with no stress to worry about. But because of human nature, we often end up worrying about things. Being prepared for stress the next time it rears its ugly lets you slow down and gather yourself so it doesn’t ruin your day or make you do something you might regret.